Linux-Libre and Trechearous Computing

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Tue Feb 16 07:24:22 UTC 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, Ted Smith <teddks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 13:58 +0100, davide89v wrote:
>> Hi i'm a new user in this list, i want do a question on this free
>> version of linux.
>> I think that libre linux should not only remove the blob but also the
>> support for the trecherous computing.
>> What do you think?

> I don't think that would be a good idea in the least, because as long as
> all your software is free, you have nothing to fear from a TPM in your
> system, and you can put it to good use.

> It's probably a good thing to oppose treacherous computing in the
> general case, because practically nobody uses only free software, and as
> such TC is in a position to wreak utter havoc. But we don't gain
> anything by denying ourselves TPMs that we know we control.

This is my understanding as well, save for a caveat.

TPM could *prevent* you from installing any Free Software whatsoever on
a given system.

That said, I don't see how having support for TPM in Linux-libre would
aid in reducing this risk, or add any other risks of abuse of Free
Software-only users.

So, from what I know about this topic, I'm inclined to leave it alone,
but I could be convinced otherwise if shown a scenario in which support
(whatever that means) for TPM in a Free kernel makes Free Software users
more prone to abuse from hardware or Free Software suppliers.