RFTesters: freed-ora repo config packages

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 3 05:42:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:39:41AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2010, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva en fsfla.org> wrote:
>
> > I've uploaded noarch RPM packages named freed-ora, freed-ora-freedom and
> > freed-ora-freedom-report to the F1[345]-testing repositories:
>
> Version 2-1 does renames freed-ora to freed-ora-release (should update
> automatically), and integrates the freed-ora-freedom-report
> functionality (conflicting with Fedora's non-Free kernel packages) into
> freed-ora-freedom, using pre and triggerin scripts.
>
> Those using Freed-ora, please give it a try and let me know how it went.
>
> > http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/freed-ora/f13-testing/noarch
> > http://fsfla.org/svn/fsfla/software/linux-libre/freed-ora/freed-ora-pkg/master

It was pretty good, fortunately i had another machine not upgraded yet
to Linux Libre (yes, i'm thinking a some-kind of marketing about
"Upgrade to Freedom!", or so), so it was a real test of how the new
stuff could work in another environments.

This said, just as you are releasing two new packages (one for
configuring the freed-ora repository for not so tech savvy users like
me), i think we could spread the word among Fedora community about two
stages for achieve a real Software Freedom in our systems.

First at all, installing linux-libre:

# yum localinstall $url
# yum install kernel-libre

And then remove the ugly stuff (topic for another thread):

# yum install freed-ora-freedom (it conflicts with ugly stuff)
# yum remove ugly-stuff
# yum install freed-ora-freedom (or "repeat until it shines?":D)

> --
> Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter    http://FSFLA.org/~lxoliva/
> You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi
> Be Free! -- http://FSFLA.org/   FSF Latin America board member
> Free Software Evangelist      Red Hat Brazil Compiler Engineer

Now, about a shortened url for an easier "spread of the word":

The new freed-ora-release rpm installs freed-ora*.repo files than use
$releasever in the base url of the repo, instead of hard-coded urls
for each release. Then, should i suppose it's the same file, no matter
which directory is in the rpm for configuring the yum repo?

If that's right, then it could be used a single url for all Fedora
releases, and it even wouldn't demand more effort from Linux-libre
project than provide a permanent url, a descriptive one let's say. It
could be a symbolic link to the last freed-ora-release{whatever}.rpm
and that way without changing how-to's or whatever media we spread the
instructions for the "Upgrade to Fedora Freedom!" campaign.

I think even in banners, stickers and things like that, for example:

# rpm -i http://ur1.ca/2hoog && yum install kernel-libre

(actually you can test the ur1.ca url and you'll see links to real rpm)
and another line to remove the ugly stuff:

# rpm -i http://ur1.ca/2hopm && yum remove {stuff freed-ora-freedom
conflicts} ; "repeat until all the non-free-stuff it's removed".

I know it's not perfect, but it's a test of concept for a release of a
something like "Freedom is a Feature!" or "Upgrade to Freedora Freedom!"

It would be even easier if, instead of having to do several steps, the
freed-ora-freedom package:

i) replaces *-firmware with itself (like a metapackage); just like the
way the new freed-ora-freedom-2-1.rpm replaces the old freed-ora rpm.

ii) installs "automagically" kernel-libre;

this way, a single line like:

# yum localinstall http://ur1.ca/2hooog

could do all the work

at this moment, i have a single line than serves as a concept test:

# rpm -i http://ur1.ca/2ho{og,pm} && yum install kernel-libre

What do you think? :)
--
Jesús E. Franco Mtz. http://identi.ca/tzk