on naming the devils in the Linux-libre front page

Nick linux-libre-list at njw.me.uk
Mon Nov 9 20:33:30 UTC 2009

Quoth Alexandre Oliva:
> > I'd really appreciate it if you called the distributions by
> > their preferred names
>
> Now here's a twist: if you replace something as fundamental as the
> kernel in a distro, is it still the same distro?

Well yes, I would say so. As an example, Gentoo has ebuilds for
several differently patched versions of the Linux kernel, and the
FreeBSD kernel. I believe Debian are similar in this regard.

But I see that as largely irrelevant to this discussion. These are
builds intended to be installed on top of a specific distribution.

> But while on the one hand we don't mind that people use such distros if
> they're careful to not give up their freedoms or encourage others to do
> so, on the other we don't want to steer others towards these distros
> ourselves, for this may lead people who don't know better to make
> mistakes.
>
> I see the two issues as orthogonal, and the arguments you presented here
> are pretty much all related with the “using”, rather than with the
> “promoting”, which is the relevant issue to decide whether or not to
> name the distros.

Yes, thanks for clarifying this, I agree. If you're really concerned
that mentioning the names of distributions could be seen as
promoting them, I'd suggest putting them in a separate section, with
a note above explaining that they aren't recommended as they allow
easy access to non-free software, with a link to the FSFs opinions
on classifying distributions as free.

> Now, it may be that Genfree is not as good or clear a pun as the others,
> so the reference is not as self-evident.  Any ideas on how to fix that?

Please don't try to close this discussion down before we've reached
some sort of agreement.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Nick

--
GPG : 0x04E4653F           9732D7C7A441D79EFDF094F61F48567404E4653F