gspca conex.c firmware license?

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Sun Mar 8 08:23:03 UTC 2009

Hello, Michel,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the amazing contribution to the
community that gspca amounts to.  Well done!

I've been staring at drivers/media/video/gspca/conex.c for quite a
while, particularly at the definition of cx11646_fw1, wondering whether
it's software or just configuration data.

Based on the name of this variable, different from every other
definition in gspca files, I suppose you assumed it to be code, so,
given the apparent lack of source code, I've been removing it from
Linux-libre.  Is this assumption correct?

If so, I'm wondering whether you came up with that code yourself, or
copied it from elsewhere in the process of reverse engineering the
device and/or pre-existing drivers.

In the former case, it would be really nice to have more comments next
to it, so as to enable people to make sense of the code and be actually
able to enjoy the permissions you granted through the GPL.  Actual
source code might be desirable, even if just assembly code for some
uncommon architecture, in comments.

In the latter case, I wonder whether it would make sense to mention
where it was copied from.  Such a small piece of code would quite likely
be regarded as fair use, rather than copyright infringement, but at
least attribution would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

--
Alexandre Oliva           http://www.lsd.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/