Reverse engineering binary firmware

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez ruben at es.gnu.org
Mon Mar 2 18:57:29 UTC 2009

> These two files under X11 license are probably most important for the
> community:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_microcode.h;h=a348c9e7db1cbdaa09b988e3a1da2d955d16c3f2;hb=drm-next
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/r600_microcode.h;h=778c8b4b2fd9759701ba526319733d1d3c73528c;hb=drm-next
>
> This is microcode for AMD video cards which is required in order to
> have 2D/3D acceleration with otherwise free drivers.

I'm talking with the AMD project manager for that card's drivers. This
microcode runs a "command processor", a kind of hardware parser for data
packages, that as I can tell from that conversations, may have something
to do with drm. And I'm not talking about direct rendering here.

They seem to be very reluctant to free that piece of code :(
The files are free licensed hex blobs.