on disabling drivers that use non-Free firmware

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Wed Jan 14 21:36:52 UTC 2009

    The third, that I'm working on ATM, is to locate drivers that require
    non-Free firmware external to the kernel tree, and either disable them
    from building, or turn their firmware-loading machinery into a one-way
    user-notification mechanism.  In the latter case, this strategy will
    also be applied to modules that we used to disable before.

I think arranging to display the message is an acceptable method of
disabling, but also any specific blob file name should be removed.

If the driver is useless after that treatment, it should be
deleted entirely.