on disabling drivers that use non-Free firmware

Quiliro Ordóñez quiliro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 05:40:57 UTC 2009

2009/1/8 Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva en fsfla.org>

> On Jan  5, 2009, Robert Millan <rmh en aybabtu.com> wrote:
>
> > Somewhat related to this:  I've been toying with the idea of writing a
> > desktop session daemon, technically similar to Ubuntu's
> "restricted-manager",
> > but with a different purpose:  detect devices that require non-free
> firmware
> > (based on bus id heuristics), and display a message explaining the user
> why
> > these aren't supported, and discouraging him/her from buying hardware
> from
> > this vendor.
>
> What if Linux-libre helped you instead?
>
> I'm toying with the idea of replacing calls to request_firmware(), that
> would have requested non-Free firmware, with calls to
> notify_about_nonfree_firmware(), that would issue something similar to
> (or totally different from) a request for firmware, with enough
> information for userland to decode and present to the user an
> informative notice about why that device isn't going to work.

Sounds great, Alexandre.

Aditionally, what if there would be a database of hardware manufacturer's
emails which would be used to send a pre-packaged request asking for the
liberation of the firmware? In other words for example:
- I need Dlink DWA-110 firmware and the kernel detects it. It triggers the
mail client to send an email to Dlink asking nicely to liberate that
freeware with theauthorization of the computer user of course.

Can this be done? How?
--
Saludos/Greetings
Quiliro Ordóñez