on disabling drivers that use non-Free firmware

Andrew Wigglesworth ecadre at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 23:15:19 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 06:07:51 Alexandre Oliva wrote:
<snip>
> Gnash, Samba and Wine don't induce someone to use non-Free Software, they
> merely enable it.  Conversely, the drivers do induce people to use the
> non-Free firmware.
</snip>

Hi, I'm new to this list, so I hope you don't mind me "putting my oar in" on
my first post :-)

Your continued thoughts about the modules that require non-free blobs are
exactly the point that I was going to make.  However, I think that I would
replace the word "induce" with the word "require", so your sentence would
read:

"Gnash, Samba and Wine don't require someone to use non-Free Software, they
merely enable it.  Conversely, the drivers do require people to use the
non-Free firmware."

Thanks for taking the initiative with linux-libre.

--
Andrew
http://www.andrew-wigglesworth.co.uk