linux-libre ebuild

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 03:21:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 19:13 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> [adding linux-libre back]
>
> On Dec 26, 2008, Ted Smith <teddks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 22:48 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >> Not that I'm aware of, but from the little I know about gentoo, it would
> >> seem to me that whatever building machinery one would have used to build
> >> the non-Free Linux could be trivially used to build Linux-libre.
>
> > Well, if there wasn't one before, there is now. And yes, they are
> > trivially easy to do. The only thing needed to generate one for a new
> > version is copying the current one. :)
>
> Cool!  Would you like us to host the emerge script you used to build it
> in the Linux-libre source repository?  If you'd like to maintain it, I'd
> be happy to grant you write access.
>
> Now, I know very little about gentoo infrastructure, but if we could
> make available whatever it takes for gentoo users to easily switch to
> Linux-libre, be it ebuild scripts, be it binaries (that doesn't really
> make sense, does it?), I'd very much like to do it.
>
> But we ought to come up with some clever wordplay on gentoo, along the
> lines of freed-ora, freed-ebian and uhurubuntu, for we'd rather not
> recommend or endorse distros that carry non-Free kernels.  Any ideas?

That would be optimal. The script is pretty trivial, but we could set up
a Portage overlay that would allow users to install the libre-sources
port (what we're calling it, as that's the convention in Gentoo:
vanilla-sources, gentoo-sources, and now libre-sources). We're thinking
Freetoo as the name.

Hosting the script can be done in whatever rcs you have set up; the
portage overlay should be in an rsync module.

> > And why are there so many tarballs missing?
>
> Besides the case above, some earlier tarballs were removed just to keep
> disk space use in check.  Say, once we release linux-2.6.27.10-libre,
> there's little point in keeping say linux-2.6.27.4-libre around, right?
> So every now and then I remove the superfluous tarballs, although I do
> keep baselines (2.6.27) and xdeltas from upstream tarballs, so it isn't
> too hard to re-create the tarballs should the need arise.

Alright, great. Right now we have ebuilds for everything you have, and I
guess that's all we need.