Please fix trivial GPL violation in dvb/ttpci/av7110_hw.c

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Tue Feb 10 04:55:14 UTC 2009

Object code for http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/Boot.S
(GPLv2+) is distributed as part of drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/av7110_hw.c
in Linux, in the definition for 'static u8 bootcode[]'.

I couldn't find the corresponding source code anywhere in the Linux
source tarball or the v4l-dvb repository.  I couldn't find any reference
to the location of the source code anywhere in the av7110* sources.  I
didn't get a written offer for the corresponding sources when I
downloaded the Linux tarball.  That sounds like a GPL violation to me.

IANAL, but I believe it would be advisable for the copyright holders of
that file to add a copy of Boot.S to the Linux sources, and to reinstate
the license for those who have knowingly or unknowingly distributed its
object code in a way that AFAIK isn't permitted by the GPL, and that
AFAIK causes the license to be terminated.

BTW, the URL for the project's page is broken in av7110.c and
av7110_hw.c: the trailing dvb/ after www.linuxtv.org/ is a 404.

I'm also a bit concerned about dvb-ttpci-01.fw, requested by av7110.c.
I couldn't locate source code or licensing terms for it, but I found
some references to patched versions thereof on the Internet, which
presumably involves getting sources and a license to modify them.
Any idea of where I can find them?

Thanks in advance,

--
Alexandre Oliva           http://www.lsd.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/