[Team] [GNU-linux-libre] naming the Linux-libre artwork

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Mon Apr 27 20:28:52 UTC 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, Richard M Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

>     Would it make sense to rename this project to, say Librenux, which
>     hopefully doesn't have this problem in Spanish, and that would rather
>     sound a bit like  Free us! ?

> This would have very bad effects in other ways.
> We don't want to present this as something different from Linux.
> We want to present it as our version of Linux.

Erhm...  I'm not sure how inserting a “bre” in the middle conveys the
idea that it's something fundamentally different, but maybe the word
looks sufficiently different that it does.

How about Liñux-libre, then?

That's “Linux with a GNU twist”, since en(gnu) = es(ñu) :-)

> I suggest contrasting "Linux Libre" with "Linux normal" or with "el
> Linux de Torvalds".

+1

I refer to Linus' version as “non-Free Linux”.