[GNU-linux-libre] naming the Linux-libre artwork

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Wed Apr 15 17:06:26 UTC 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, Rubén Rodríguez Pérez <ruben at es.gnu.org> wrote:

>> Yes, the last one is funny and I agree that Freetz could be an
>> interesting official mascot.

> And also the name Stux is a good pun for refering to the regular blobbed
> tux, but I don't like it if you apply to linux-libre mascots.

That's the thing: Stux stands for the blobbed (tuxic :-) kernel.

It looks nice and appealing, but it takes effort to realize that it's
deprived of freedom.

> I vote for the penguin in the shower, but I don't love Freetz as a name
> (we can give him a guitar, though).

Heh.

I kind of like Freetz, but I can't say I'm in love with it.

It's one syllable, it has 'Free' in the name; it's a bit ironic in that
Linus wanted Linux to have been named Freax, it does sound like a pet
name, but it's hardly perfect.

I guess we'll always be open to suggestions, at least until one name
sticks :-)

How about this: whoever comes up with a name for, erhm, the penguin
currently-named Freetz gets a Free license to run, modify and distribute
Linux-libre! ;-)