volunteers to build kernels for other non-Free GNU/Linux distros?

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Fri May 23 18:47:46 UTC 2008

On May 21, 2008, "Leo Arias F." <yo at elopio.net> wrote:

> Alexandre, I would like to help, but I have no idea of how to do it.

Thanks.  I'm not very familiar with .deb myself, but I suggest you
take a look at the .deb file from gNewSense, Ubuntu and/or Debian and
start replacing occurrences of linux-2.6.whatever.tar.bz2 with
linux-2.6.whatever-libre1.tar.bz2, and then check that no patches or
add-ons introduce non-Free Software.  I use deblob-check on every
applied patch in the freed-ora builds.

I can try to get familiarized with the procedure myself (gaining that
knowledge certainly wouldn't hurt), but I'm way over my work capacity
ATM, and I have upcoming deadlines to meet and I can't help
participating in discussions about linux-libre on fedora-devel list.

People might also want to keep an eye on
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/23/170 and start proposing similar changes
to this one http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/23/172.  If David's plan
works, we may soon not need linux-libre as a separate project
(although I'm not holding my breath just yet :-)