Pending clean-up for -libre2

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Tue May 20 20:22:54 UTC 2008

On gnewsense-es I found out the 'depends on NONFREE' trick in Kconfig
files doesn't have exactly the effects I expected.  I assume it would
prevent an option from being enabled if it was marked with this
annotation, if it depended on another option marked as such, or if it
selected another option marked as such.

Not so.  This bit:

# disable -- appears to neeed other DVB bits
clean_mk CONFIG_DVB_CORE drivers/media/Makefile
clean_mk CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DVB drivers/media/video/Makefile
clean_mk CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134 drivers/media/video/Makefile
clean_mk CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88 drivers/media/video/Makefile
clean_kconfig drivers/media/Kconfig 'VIDEOBUF_DVB'

should have disabled CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DVB, but it doesn't.  It's
enabled, and options that depend on it or select it are still present,
such as CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134_DVB.  And they do compile and work
correctly, and it doesn't look like I've failed to remove any piece of
non-Free Software.

Does anyone happen to remember the precise reasons why it was thought
to be necessary to remove these bits before?  I just want to make sure
I didn't miss anything.