[FSFLA] Hiperbola: A fully free, stable, secure, simple, lightweight and long-term distribution

Eder L. Marques eder en edermarques.net
Sab Mayo 27 14:44:36 UTC 2017

On 26/05/2017 8:01 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> Debian is a project to provide a system distribution, and
> unfortunatelly, the current system distribution provided by it can't be
> considered as free/libre, specially becaouse of the problems you raised.

On your eyes, or in the eyes of FSF. By the end of the day, the project
does not care to be considered by FSF libre or not, but I saw over the
years a lot of people (from both sides) trying to collaborate but being
stopped by this kind of miope view.

> For an alternative, there is gNewSense, which is listed at
> [[http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html]].

Why you guys keeping proposing distros very outdated/not well maintained
as an alternative?

Look at this page:
http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/3/DifferencesWithDebian

It is 3 years old!
On Savannah, last ticket is from June 2016.
I can keep going for a day, but I think your got the point.

Offer something at the same level. Your alternative is insecure and
outdated.

> It's not recommended to "recommend" Debian to society, even if non-free
> repositories and packages are removed, because o the branding associated
> with Debian, for which the user can remember and, instead of asking you
> for help, could potentially ask Debian project for help which would say
> that "the installation was modified somehow, do this [non-free software
> installation] to fix it". Besides, the user will remember the Debian
> brand, but won't probably remember what you recommended to do in order
> to have a free/libre copy, in casese where, for example, he tries to
> install it again (or gets it installed again by a person other than
> you).

Seriously? You are mixing things.

 From the 'branding' perspective, doing so you are, IMHO, undermining
FSFLA's owns branding. Do a research and ask different people what they
think about FSFLA (or other FSFs) and you can have an overview (I did,
and the result was pretty bad for me, as I do care with FSFLA otherwise
I wont be here).

 From the scenario you proposed about help, it is very different from
reality. And further, what makes different from someone installing the
fsf-approved distros and later install non-free because someone said
that will fix their problems?

> Also, the GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines can be interpreted as
> to have the following goal: to make sure that a non-tech end-user
> receives the essential freedoms. So the cumbersomeness of having to do
> "this and that" in order to have a free/libre copy of [Insert non-free
> system distribution here] isn't that non-tech end-user friendly.

Fantastic. And in your mind the outdated/insecure distros are more user
friendly than the [Insert non-free system distribution here]?

Just curious.