[FSFLA] Hiperbola: A fully free, stable, secure, simple, lightweight and long-term distribution

Eder L. Marques eder en edermarques.net
Vie Mayo 26 14:37:33 UTC 2017

On 25/05/2017 8:30 PM, Quiliro wrote:
> El Thu, 25 May 2017 13:55:17 -0400
>> "Eder L. Marques" <eder em edermarques.net> escribió:
>> Why do we need yet another gnu-linux[-libre] distribution?
>
> Because the developer decided it was necesary.

I would say he decided he wants to. Necessary can lead to the following
questions: "necessary for who?", "necessary for what?", which will lead
to the same kind of answer you already gave, so nevermind.

>> Every time we create a new distro we make the lives of users harder.
>
> Why? I feel that sounds the same as saying that every time a person submits their opinion, it makes listeners get confused. Diversity makes a nice environment, even if it is a waste of time. But I cannot pay everyone (or want to hire anyone). So I cannot administer their time.

Not really. Having more options is not necessarily better, and your
analogy to me is far from a comparison with creating new distros and the
colateral damage it can bring.

I don't want either to control anyone's time, just to be clear, which is
not the same to point out that some actions can have unintended
consequences.

>> If Debian can have the linux-libre kernel from FSFLA (or even the use
>> of the standard Debian kernel without the blobs), and if we can advise
>> the users to use only the main repo as much as they can, what is the
>> big issue?
>>
>> Because if the answer is that Debian does not respect the 4 freedoms
>> that is very inaccurate.
>> If is because Debian has (even though is not part of the project) a
>> non-free repo, why we don't advise the users about alternatives?
>
> Because people that promote this way do not want to promote the opposite. Debian is not interested in taking sides. Debian collaborates a lot with free software. But we believe we should collaborate more with those that collaborate more by using the most free software. It is not a question of quality but of rights. We understand that others do not think this way. But others must understand the way we think is our right.

Due to my limitations it was hard to understand what you are trying to
say. Debian definitely has a side (even if you tell that is its own)
that is guided by its DFSG.

I never talked about rights. FSFLA, you or any one has the right to act
the way you are now. It is to segregate instead of collaborate, to split
instead of unite. And to introduce more distros as you wish.

I don't speak for the Debian project, but I know that it respects your
rights, and doesn't want to force you to collaborate with them, etc.
One cannot tell with confidence that the opposite is true.

>> A good effort, that will take less hours than maintain a distro, is to
>> create a map that for each package is maintained at debian non-free
>> repo, what would be the alternatives?
>> Then, if the alternatives are not in the main/contrib repo, one can
>> package it.
>
> Most free distro maintainers agree with that. I don't. I cannot collaborate more with someone that collaborates less with me and my route. I do not hinder their efforts. But I will not support a cause a do not agree with.

We agree to disagree in this case.

>> As there is a lot of messages/threads on the list about how to start
>> acting, I believe that it would be a great step. :)
>
> Thank you for your opinion. I think that someone that has acted does not need guidance but cheers. Hyperbola hackers did not ask for our decision. They just offered their distro. When they ask for our opinion, I will say mine. In the meantime I will cheer them because they are working for free software.
>
> Don't you agree?

I don't fully agree. Hyperbola/Parabola or any other team has they free
will to work on anything they want. I am not offering a 'decision'.

I am point out that creating new distros has a colateral damage to be
considered. If they (or any) want to go on that direction, no one can
stop/intervene. However, just because they are producing free software
does not make it good per see.

We can spend hours on this conversation, but my point is not about your
individual opinion (which I my not agree with but respect).

In this time where FSFLA is looking to be more active, it will be a
great start point to stop to segregate people and, at the same time it
fights for and sustain its principles, to look for different ways to
accomplish this.

Thanks,

Eder