[FSFLA] Alexandre Oliva recebeu prêmio 2016 da FSF

Paulo Francisco Slomp slomp en ufrgs.br
Lun Mar 27 06:01:08 UTC 2017

SecureDrop and Alexandre Oliva are 2016 Free Software Awards winners

https://www.fsf.org/news/securedrop-and-alexandre-oliva-are-2016-free-software-awards-winners

by Free Software Foundation <https://www.fsf.org/author/fsfweb> —
Published on Mar 25, 2017 07:11 PM

BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Saturday, March 25, 2017 -- The Free
Software Foundation (FSF) today announced the winners of the 2016 Free
Software Awards at a ceremony held during the LibrePlanet 2017
conference at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). FSF
President Richard M. Stallman presented the Award for the Advancement of
Free Software and the Award for Projects of Social Benefit.

The Award for Projects of Social Benefit
<https://www.fsf.org/awards/sb-award/> is presented to a project or team
responsible for applying free software, or the ideas of the free
software movement, to intentionally and significantly benefit society.
This award stresses the use of free software in service to humanity.

This year, SecureDrop <https://securedrop.org/> received the award,
which was accepted by Conor Schaefer, Senior DevOps engineer for Freedom
of the Press Foundation.

SecureDrop is an anonymous whistleblowing platform used by major news
organizations and maintained by Freedom of the Press Foundation
<https://freedom.press/>. Originally written by the late Aaron Swartz
with assistance from Kevin Poulsen and James Dolan, the free software
platform was designed to facilitate private and anonymous conversations
and secure document transfer between journalists and sensitive sources.
It has been used in newsrooms across the world, including /the
Intercept/, /Associated Press/, /the Washington Post/, /the Guardian/,
/ProPublica/, and /the New Yorker/.

In his speech, Stallman emphasized the importance of whistleblowers in
the maintenance of a free society. "[SecureDrop] provides a necessary
channel for whistleblowers to communicate through."

"At Freedom of the Press Foundation, we believe strongly that an
obstinate and cantankerous press is fundamental to keeping populations
informed and empowered," Schaefer said when accepting the award. "Secure
and anonymous communication is more important today than ever before,
and is vital for protecting high-risk individuals such as investigative
journalists and their confidential sources.

"SecureDrop is one way we try to tackle that problem, by defending the
right of the press to inform the public. The project is the result of
hard work by security engineers and contributors in the free software
community. Under the hood, it's a medley of free software tools, and
could not exist without the vibrant free software movement to depend on.

"On behalf of Freedom of the Press Foundation, thank you, to everyone in
the free software community, to those brave enough to fight to inform
the public, and to the Free Software Foundation in particular. It's a
privilege to work with you all. Keep fighting the good fight, we're
right there with you."

The Award for the Advancement of Free Software
<https://www.fsf.org/awards/fs-award> goes to an individual who has made
a great contribution to the progress and development of free software,
through activities that accord with the spirit of free software.

This year, it was presented to Alexandre Oliva
<https://www.fsfla.org/%7Elxoliva/>. An advocate of free software and
the GNU Project, Oliva's impact has been felt far beyond his home in
Brazil, from giving talks about free software to his role as maintainer
of linux-libre, the fully free version of the kernel Linux. A leader in
the robust Latin American free software community, he started a project
to reverse engineer the proprietary software used by Brazilian citizens
to submit their taxes to the government, giving people there the
opportunity to complete this interaction almost entirely with free
software, and offering inspiration (and free code) for those wanting to
tackle this common issue elsewhere.

Stallman said that he is "especially impressed with [Oliva's] project
Softwares Impostos. His project provides a free replacement for
proprietary software required by the [Brazilian] government to submit
taxes." Stallman praised the efficacy of Oliva's work and the dedication
it showed to creating and maintaining software that has significant
impact while respecting user freedoms. "In many years, he had his
updates ready before the official software came out."

"I first met Richard 21 years ago," Oliva said. "That defined the rest
of my life. I've shared his message—our message—since then and now I
think I know that I've been doing it right."

via fabianne balvedi

---
Este e-mail foi verificado quanto a vírus pelo AVG.
http://www.avg.com