[FSFLA] [gnu-prog-discuss] Examples of GPL success?

Fabio Gonzalez fabio en gnu.org
Vie Ago 16 03:29:42 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:35:02 -0400
> From: Kyle Bayes <kylebayes en gmail.com>
> Cc: rms en gnu.org, discusion en fsfla.org, gnu-prog-discuss en gnu.org
>
> [1:text/plain Hide]
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 01:50:33AM +0000, Fabio Gonzalez wrote:
> > What! Ignore people values and impose ours! Do you think that it is help them?
> >
> > I think that some big part of freedom is respecting values of others. Then
> > helping people is different because it is based on its values.
> >
> Suppose some software developers want to write software that is
> malicious in nature.  Perhaps, those developers want to write spyware
> to collect people's information and sell it to governments, companies,
> and etc.  Free software gives users power over their software.  These
> developers don't want this.  They want the opposite.  We have very
> little hope of convincing those developers to stop writing non-free
> software.

If people that disagree with it, not use such software, no problem.
What is not exactly true these days. But I think that free software
will help to fix it.

But another issue is that a big part of the success of these developers is
by imposing it's values on others: They not respect values of the users.

But if we want to help such developers, this will not be changing what they
are.

> Not all values should receive respect.  Some values are so toxic and
> harmful towards the individual and towards community, that they need
> to be ignored and disregarded.  There are many hedonist individuals
> who are willing to hurt many people to achieve their goals.  We can
> not afford to tolerate their values.

Not exactly. If we put them together in a community that such things
are good. Then nobody will be harmed.

Ignoring values of someone is dangerous, because we can hurt them
without even knowing that. And if the values of everyone are
respected, them exactly nobody is harmed.

--
Fabio Gonzalez
GNU fcrypt Maintainer