[FSFLA] [gnu-prog-discuss] Examples of GPL success?

Fabio Gonzalez fabio en gnu.org
Vie Ago 16 01:50:33 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:23:31 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <rms en gnu.org>
> Cc: gnu-prog-discuss en gnu.org
>
>         [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
>         [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
>         [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
>
>     > The interesting stuff (features not available elsewhere) around LLVM is
>     > mostly proprietary.  This includes GPU front-ends and back-ends by
>     > NVIDIA and Apple, for instance.
>
>     Isn't this the goal pursued by many authors of non-copylefted free
>     software?:
>
> Indeed it is.
>
> There is no way we can persuade people with incommensurable values.
> We can't prove logically that they are wrong, but we can influence
> people to disapprove.  The way we do that is by ignoring the people
> with the incommensurable values, and presenting how we see things with
> our values.

What! Ignore people values and impose ours! Do you think that it is help them?

I think that some big part of freedom is respecting values of others. Then
helping people is different because it is based on its values.

We can't prove it logically that they are wrong because it is basically
our view of them: our values.

The way that we can prove it is with things in common between us.

But logic and ethics are different issues.

> In other words, don't think in terms of logical argument
> when it's a question of which moral axioms to use.

That is correct. But you is just showing
a strategy to impose values on people.

--
Fabio Gonzalez
GNU fcrypt Maintainer