Brazilian PLC 89/03

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva en fsfla.org
Dom Jul 6 23:13:53 UTC 2008

On Jul  6, 2008, Richard M Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

>     Authoriterrorism is the practice of (i) mislabeling as property a
>     limited monopoly granted by society to get, after an originally short

> This is a draconian and unjust law, but calling it "terrorism" seems
> like bombastic exaggeration.

Something is amiss.

The goal was not to label the law itself as terrorism, but rather to
say that it makes (more) room for authoriterrorism.

I'll try to figure out some way to avoid giving this impression you
got, but if you could please explain how the proposed draft gave you
that idea, it will be easier to check whether the changes will fix it
without another round-trip delay.

> A second problem: that sentence seems to _define_ the term
> "authoriterrorism" to refer to this one specific issue.

It does define authoriterrorism, indeed, as the combination of 4
behaviors we observe from authoriterrorists, and that we expect the
law will be exploited for these purposes.  Do you think it would be
better to defined authoriterrorism in a broader way?

> Aside from that, it's great.  But it should end with a paragraph
> addressed to the legislators and the president.  You should send
> it to them, too.

Good idea!  Will do.

> Try asking Mazoni to help raise this issue with the president.

Sure.  The Ministry of Culture will also be contacted to do something
about it.

Thanks!