The positive approach to FLISOL

Vítor Baptista listas en vitorbaptista.com
Sab Ene 26 00:53:24 UTC 2008

There aren't many people that will hapily make a complete change this way,
from a Windows machine to one with an open source OS without proprietary
software.

I think that it's better to have someone satisfied with the change, as he
could do what he did before, listening to his mp3 songs, watching his
movies, visiting his favorite flashy websites and talking to his mother over
skype, than having someone going back home and noticing that he can't do
this. At least not without googling for answers.

It shouldn't be a problem for most of us, but for not such technically
inclined users could suffer, and who he'll blame? Certainly it will not be
Macromedia or the proprietary codecs. It almost always will be the OS,
mostly Linux. He could keep trying and install what he needs or, as an
"easier" way, he'll format and reinstall Windows.

So, what is better? Telling them the advantages of open source, but helping
in making his PC the way he wants, or having someone frustrated because he
couldn't do easily what he did before? At least until now, I prefer the
former.

I know that the people that goes to FLISOL isn't the average Joe, but if he
could install by himself, he would probably do it at home. At least I would.

I think that the main aim of FLISOL should be making the switch to an
opensource OS as painless as possible, and showing that there are
alternatives as good as, or even better, than the softwares they are
accustomed.

http://vitorbaptista.com